Who we are
The Friends of the Auburn Public Library is a 501-c3 non-profit organization comprised of area citizens who volunteer to support the Auburn Public Library through community engagement. They work in partnership with library staff to enhance library services, collections, and special activities primarily through financial support.
What we do
Recent additions and services made possible through The Friends of the Auburn Public Library include:
- A growing collection of over 65,000 books, discs, and electronic titles
- Summer Reading Programs, including weekly events and guest speakers, weekly reading goal prizes, and end of summer grand prizes
- Weekly story times, youth programming, and seasonal special events
- Author talks, writing groups for all ages, extended hours for finals, and programs to encourage new library patrons
- Library staff professional development and training
- Décor, craft supplies, and receptions for the above programs and events
The Friends of the Auburn Public Library achieve these goals through the following activities:
- Semi-annual used book sales, held spring and fall, at the Dean Road Recreation Center
- Receiving and organizing used book donations from the community on an ongoing basis throughout the year for the used book sales
- Presenting to local groups and organizations about the benefits of joining the Friends, a completely volunteer run operation
- Special events and fundraisers throughout the year, including an annual letter campaign and membership drive
If you would like to be involved in supporting the wonderful resource of our public library, you can do any or all of the following:
- Come to the library regularly to borrow materials, print or electronic, and enjoy the many resources that your tax dollars provide for you.
- Encourage City Council members to continue to support the library. As the fastest growing city in the state, we must constantly expand collections and services to meet the growing needs of our community.
- Donate – books, money, or your time. Gently used books turn into cash, that we in turn use for our semi-annual used book sales and provide reading materials at low cost to our entire population. These sales are completely volunteer run, so your time is a special way of giving back as well. Monetary donations, in whatever amount, are an important contribution toward a strong partnership between the library and the community.
As a Friend of the Auburn Public Library, you can feel special about what you are doing to give back to your local Auburn community. Get involved and join the Friends, attend our meetings, and shape the future of library programs and services with the collaboration of library staff and community volunteers interested in creating a better tomorrow through the joy of reading.
For more information, or a membership packet, please contact us:
Friends of the Auburn Public Library
P.O. Box 1854
Auburn, AL 36831