1. Auburn Municipal Court

Auburn Municipal Court

141 N Ross St

Jeffery Hatchett

Jeffery Hatchett

Assistant Admin/ Court Clerk

Before Your Court Date

Q: Do I have to come to Court?
A: If you have received a routine traffic citation (Speeding, Running a Stop Sign, etc.) or a Uniform Non-Traffic Citation and Complaint, you may pay such citation prior to your court date and avoid coming to Court. If you are charged with a Misdemeanor (Harassment, Possession of Marijuana, Theft of Property 4th Degree, etc.), a violation that carries the possibility of jail time (Public Intoxication, Disorderly Conduct, etc.), or a serious traffic offense (DUI, Driving While License Suspended, etc.) you MUST come to your court date.

Q: How can I pay my ticket prior to my court date?
A: If it is a non-serious traffic violation or a Uniform Non-Traffic Citation and Complaint, you can pay your ticket prior to your court date: (a) pay online; (b) over the phone at (334) 329-6065 with a major debit or credit card; (c) in person at 141 N. Ross Street between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with Cash, Money Order, or a Certified Check; or (d) through the mail to 141 N. Ross Street by Certified Check or Money Order. All Certified Checks and/or Money Orders must be made payable to Auburn Municipal Court; do not send cash or personal checks through the mail.  If you send a Certified Check or Money Order in the mail, please follow up to ensure it has been received and properly applied to your case(s).

Q: What if I can't pay my ticket(s) in full prior to or on my court date?
A: If you want to plead guilty and pay your fines and court costs, but are unable to pay them in full prior to or on your court date, you may enter a guilty plea(s) with the Judge and you will be placed on a Payment Plan, giving you at least ninety (90) days to pay. You will also be given a subpoena for a Payment Review Date that you must appear for unless the fines and costs are paid in full.

Q: How can I get a court-appointed attorney?
A: If the offense you are charged with carries the possibility of a jail sentence, you may request a Public Defender on your court date. The Judge will make a determination of eligibility, based upon financial need. The Court uses the State of Alabama's indigency form. If you would like to apply for a Public Defender prior to your first court date, you may complete both sides of the form and sign it in the presence of a Magistrate at the Clerk's Office.

Q: Can I change my court date over the phone?
A: As a courtesy, the Auburn Municipal Court allows you to change your original court date once. However, you must appear in person at the Clerk's Office at 141 N. Ross Street and sign for a new subpoena in order to change your scheduled court date. If you miss your original court date, we will send you a second court date as a courtesy. This second notice will be sent to the address we have on file for you; if you do not appear at that second court date, a Writ for your arrest may be issued and/or your driving privilege and license may be suspended.

Q: Can I go to driving school or otherwise keep a ticket off my record?
A: Driving school is typically at the discretion of the Court. However, if this is your first moving violation within the City of Auburn, the Court will generally allow you to complete an in-person traffic safety program in the City of Auburn.  Upon completion, the citation will be Nol Prossed.  The Court reserves the right to deny your request for the program based upon your statewide or nationwide driving history, even if it is a first offense in this jurisdiction. Additionally, individuals with CDL's are not eligible for this program.  If you are eligible for and interested in attending our Traffic Safety Program, please contact a Magistrate at least ten (10) days before your scheduled court date.

The Day of Court

Q: Where is Court held?
A: Auburn Municipal Court is located at 141 N. Ross Street, Auburn, AL 36830.

Q: What time does court start?
A: Most court sessions start at 9:00 a.m. If you have been to court previously and are set for a Compliance Review, court will begin at 1:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month. If you are represented by counsel or have requested a trial, court will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Thursdays. Court will begin as promptly as possible. Please arrive early for court; we will try and deal with cases in the order that you arrived and checked in at the Clerk's Office. If you are late for court, you must see a Magistrate to discuss your options.

Q: Can I bring my children with me to court?
A: In order to maintain quiet and order in the courtroom, children under the age of twelve (12) are not allowed. If you are unable to arrange for childcare, you may wait in the lobby until your case is called.

Q: If I have to come to Court, what should I wear?
A: Citizens should dress appropriately for all court appearances. A specific list of prohibited clothing is available.

Q: What should I expect to happen on my court date?
A: On the original court date (in the bottom left hand corner of your ticket or on your Bond paperwork), you will check in at the Clerk's office, where you will be asked how you intend to plead. A video detailing your rights will be shown in the lobby once everyone has checked in. Once court begins, all those pleading not guilty will be called before the Judge in the order they checked in. If you are pleading not guilty, the Court will first inquire if you want a lawyer. If the charge carries the possibility of jail time, and you want a lawyer but cannot afford one, you will be given an economic form to determine your eligibility for a Public Defender. Those pleading not guilty will then have their case set for trial on a later Thursday afternoon court date. If you are pleading guilty, you will be called up before the Judge and offered the Right to Counsel and/or a Public Defender, if applicable. After your guilty plea is accepted, you will be allowed to tell the Court anything you'd like in mitigation of your sentence, at which time the Court may assess fines, court costs, counseling, and/or a jail sentence in accordance with State law.

After Your Court Date

Q: I missed my court date(s) - what happens now?
A: If you missed your first court date, your case has been continued as a courtesy, and notice of a new court date has been mailed to the address of record in the Clerk's Office. You must appear at that rescheduled court date. If you have failed to appear at multiple court dates, or missed a trial setting, a Writ for your arrest may be issued and, if the underlying charge was a traffic offense, your privilege to drive/driver's license may be suspended.

Q: There is a Warrant for my arrest - what do I do now?
A: If a Warrant has been issued for your arrest, you must surrender yourself to either the Auburn Police Division at 141 N. Ross Street in Auburn, or the Lee County Sheriff's Office located at 1900 Frederick Road in Opelika, and post the appropriate bond. You may use any of the bond types permissible in the City of Auburn (which are set forth in more detail on our Bonds page), except you must post a cash bond for Failure to Appear. You will be issued a new court date upon your release.

Q: How do I contact my Court Referral Officer?
A: The Court Referral Office is located at 2311 Gateway Drive, Opelika, AL 36801, or can be contacted by phone at (334) 737-3535.